Cancelo is currently on loan at Bayern Munich and has made 20 appearances for the German club since arriving in January.
The 29-year-old was previously a key player for City but fell out of favour with Pep Guardiola.
Although he has four years remaining on his contract, it seems unlikely that Cancelo will have a long-term future at the Etihad Stadium.
Bayern have an option to sign Cancelo permanently for £62m but they are not likely to exercise it, which could open the door for other clubs.
Having been linked with a move to Barcelona in recent days, some extra behind-the-scenes details have emerged on the situation.
According to a recent report from Sport (via Sport Witness), City will only look to get rid of Cancelo on a permanent basis this summer, rather than potentially sending him out on another loan deal, and will ask for €40m (£35m) to sell him.
Despite Guardiola previously lauding the 28-year-old for his “incredible” form, it seems unlikely that the City boss would want Cancelo back in the squad if he has doubts over his attitude, particularly when it comes to his playing time or lack thereof.
The Portugal international has made 154 appearances for City and has won the Premier League twice, while he is also eligible for a medal this season. In addition, Cancelo won the Carabao Cup on three occasions.
Follow Us on Social media:
- (Need an FWB?) 10 most readily useful FWB web sites & Apps â DatingXP.co
- ‘Make them stronger’: Pundit tells Liverpool to raid Manchester City for £150,000-a-week player
- ‘Say no’ – Man City boss Pep Guardiola says players should take action over mounting fixture lists
- Pep Guardiola tells Jack Grealish he faces challenge to keep his Man City place
- Pep Guardiola issue injury update on three Man City players
- Micah Richards outlines how ‘outstanding’ Man City player’s development might be at risk
- ‘Should win this one’ – Paul Merson now makes Manchester City vs Wolves score prediction