Gvardiol has emerged on the radar of several top European clubs after an impressive season in Leipzig. The centre-back has played 37 times across all competitions for his club and was one of the World Cup’s outstanding defenders as Croatia progressed into the semi-finals.
City have been linked with the 21-year-old in recent weeks amid uncertainty over the future of Aymeric Laporte. The Spanish international has fallen out of favour this season and could look to leave the Etihad, with Pep Guardiola thought to be eyeing a replacement already.
Any move for Gvardiol will likely be met with competition from across Europe, but Football Insider reports this week that both Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur have pulled out of the race due to Leipzig’s demands.
The Bundesliga outfit are said to be wanting around £80million for their defender, who is currently tied down to a contract running until 2027.
According to Relevo, Manchester City have ‘all the confidence in the world’ of signing Josko Gvardiol this summer, and selling an existing member of their defence is ‘a great incentive’ in favour of reaching an understanding with all parties.
The report shared on Twitter gathered a number of replies from a wide range of Man City supporters.
@Komps4: “Hope so. Going to be a fabulous player.”
@otherdome: “Gvardiol will be a great signing”
@Shawkat440: Looks like Gvardiol is the first priority for Man City to replace Laporte..”
@yslosiris: “If Laporte isn’t happy at city, I guess he’s a very good replacement for him.”
@mcfcdavid_27: “He is literally the perfect player to rotate with Ake in that 3 atb/lb role”
@SamFree55640200: “If we stick to our back 3 system, he would be perfect at LCB. He’d have to earn his spot though as Ake has been immense this season.”
@Righthalfspace: “He would be great in this current setup”
@mhiztar_babs: Txiki shouldn’t overpay tho.”
Follow Us on Social media:
- (Need an FWB?) 10 most readily useful FWB web sites & Apps â DatingXP.co
- ‘Make them stronger’: Pundit tells Liverpool to raid Manchester City for £150,000-a-week player
- ‘Say no’ – Man City boss Pep Guardiola says players should take action over mounting fixture lists
- Pep Guardiola tells Jack Grealish he faces challenge to keep his Man City place
- Pep Guardiola issue injury update on three Man City players
- Micah Richards outlines how ‘outstanding’ Man City player’s development might be at risk
- ‘Should win this one’ – Paul Merson now makes Manchester City vs Wolves score prediction