Guardiola held nothing back during an explosive post-match interview following Manchester City’s 4-2 win over Tottenham on Thursday night.
Guardiola attacked his players and – specifically – the club’s home support for their lack of ‘passion’ and ‘fire’ after watching his side again toil in a Premier League game in front of what he perceived to be a rather flat Etihad.
It’s rare to see Pep that rattled in a post-match interview. He ended the interview by walking out following a question from Sky’s Pat Davison.
Asked about the merits of his interview and whether there were tactics within it to try and galvanise the club and the supporters, former Man City defender Micah Richards said: “It was scathing, wasn’t it.”
“When we normally see Pep’s interviews, they’re very sarcastic, but today he came out and it was almost like he was saying he’s had enough of the situation of producing something so good, but no one seems to be satisfied.
“When you start going and talking about the fans, it’s a difficult situation. When the fans boo, it’s never acceptable, but it’s like he’s taken that really personally. I thought that interview was like he’s at the end of his tether.”
Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher added: “It was a brilliant interview.
“Pep Guardiola has not been in this position that often where he feels he has to send a rocket to everyone.
“Not many managers can get away with criticising their own supporters. Jurgen Klopp did it in his early time at Liverpool when a lot of supporters left before the end of the game. He’ll be fine, he’s not going to lose the supporters, he’s God here to supporters and he knows that.”
Follow Us on Social media:
- (Need an FWB?) 10 most readily useful FWB web sites & Apps â DatingXP.co
- ‘Make them stronger’: Pundit tells Liverpool to raid Manchester City for £150,000-a-week player
- ‘Say no’ – Man City boss Pep Guardiola says players should take action over mounting fixture lists
- Pep Guardiola tells Jack Grealish he faces challenge to keep his Man City place
- Pep Guardiola issue injury update on three Man City players
- Micah Richards outlines how ‘outstanding’ Man City player’s development might be at risk
- ‘Should win this one’ – Paul Merson now makes Manchester City vs Wolves score prediction