Kompany left Manchester after 11 years last summer, bowing out with 12 trophies and 360 appearances to his name. His role in City’s defence was vital in their success, and his departure has been noticeable to say the least
With City having under-performed in the Premier League during the current campaign, Guardiola is expected to make significant changes to his squad later in 2020.
City have been heavily linked with a move for many defenders like José Giménez, Upamecano, Milan Skriniar, Diego Carlos, Nathan Aké and Kalidou Koulibaly in recent weeks, as Pep Guardiola looks to sign a new centre-back at the end of the season.
According to a report from the Times, Man City have shortlisted Benfica captain Ruben Dias as a defensive target ahead of the looming summer transfer window – potentially joining the likes of Spurs and Liverpool in the hunt for his signature.
Evening Standard claim that Dias was being ‘watched‘ by Guardiola as Vincent Kompany’s potential heir after we failed to sign Man United defender Harry Maguire for that role.
Having established himself as a key figure in the heart of the Benfica defence this season, Dias has been linked with a number of top European sides.
The 23-year-old extended his contract in Lisbon last year which saw his release clause rise from €60m to €100m and it’s claimed City were prepared to splash out to sign him.
Follow Us on Social media:
- Galatasaray considering shock January swoop for Man City summer signing and more transfer rumours
- Pundit says Pep Guardiola has been talking ‘rubbish’ about one Man City player
- ‘I really want to’… Mathҽus Nunes names Man City teammates hҽ tries to learn from
- Man City eyeing summer move for unhappy Saudi Pro League star and more transfer rumours
- Man City in advanced talks with MLS club over goalkeeper exit
- Paul Merson predicts who will win – Manchester City or Luton Town
- ‘We needed a shake’ – Guardiola warns Man City needed reality chҽck of winless run but rejects Gary Neville’s ‘complacency’ claim