Thҽ Belgium playmaker has not featured for thҽ treble winners since undergoing surgery on a hamstring injury in August.
De Bruyne recently said his recovery was going well but he was not expecting to return to action until thҽ new year.
Thҽ 32-year-old’s presence in City’s official 23-man squad for thҽ tournament indicates his comeback is indeed on track, but whethҽr he will actually be fit enough to feature in Jeddah remains to be seen.
De Bruyne however is unlikely to play a single minute of Man City’s campaign, with a new report from the Manchester Evening News offering the truth behind his inclusion in the squad list.
A report from Simon Bajkowski and Tyrone Marshall confirms that Kevin De Bruyne will travel with the squad and represent Manchester City as a club captain, but he will not be fit enough to play in either game.
The Athletic also report that the “word” coming from Man City sources is that the 32-year-old will merely be involved as part of the squad at the FIFA Club World Cup, taking part in activities off the field, but is still not ready to make a return to action.
The news was shared on Twitter by City Xtra and it attracted plenty of attention from the club’s supporters.
@hoseakb: “Now that makes sense! He has to be a member of the squad in order to travel with the team!”
@Gundolorian: “No surprise… good decision”
@litbeerinAfrica: “Good, we need him in the second half of the season!!!”
@lottibbe: “He’s getting closer that’s what we care.”
@BenEzimoha: “Whatever you do DO NOT RUSH HIM”
@Andrew18: “Didn’t expect him to anyway. His return will be in the league where he’s needed most”
Follow Us on Social media:
- ‘The right decision’… PL captain says 28-year-old was totally right to leave Manchester City
- Erling Haaland contract update: Manchester City ‘considering’ fresh approach
- ‘He Is Not Wrong’ ‘Common Knowledge’ – Fans React As Hazard Calls City Star The “Best Player” In The Premier League
- Pep Guardiola makes surprise admission regarding Manchester City’s defensive woes
- Graeme Souness admits he gets very irritated when he watches 28-year-old Man City attacker
- Thomas Muller names which club he’d rather support
- ‘He didn’t really fancy him’… Reporter suggests Pep Guardiola absolutely destroyed £42m Man City player