When the draw was made on Sunday afternoon, the respective teams were just two of four fixtures yet to be played in the last 64.
However, they have been paired alongside each other, throwing up the prospect of Premier League leaders Arsenal making the trip to second-placed Man City.
Manchester United have been provided with a home tie against Championship outfit Reading, while Liverpool will travel to Brighton & Hove Albion if they can overcome Wolverhampton Wanderers in their replay.
Leicester City face League Two opposition for the second round in succession with the Foxes going up against Walsall, while Wrexham’s reward for upsetting Coventry City is a home encounter versus Sheffield United.
Draw in full
Preston North End vs. Tottenham Hotspur
Southampton vs. Blackpool
Wrexham vs. Sheffield United
Ipswich Town vs. Burnley
Manchester United vs. Reading
Luton Town/Wigan Athletic vs. Grimsby Town
Derby County vs. West Ham United
Stoke City vs. Aston Villa/Stevenage
Blackburn Rovers vs. Forest Green Rovers/Birmingham City
Walsall vs. Leicester City
Sheffield Wednesday vs. Fleetwood Town
Manchester City vs Arsenal
Bristol City/Swansea City vs. Chesterfield/West Bromwich Albion
Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Liverpool/Wolverhampton Wanderers
Fulham vs. Sunderland
Boreham Wood/Accrington Stanley vs. Cardiff City/Leeds United
The news shared on Twitter gathered a number of replies from a wide range of Man City supporters.
@MtMcfc: “This is getting ridiculous”
@lon_nol21: “If we manage to knock out the London cowboys and Arsenal, it’ll be a great domestic run.”
@al95city: “Hilariously rigged against us, chelsea and Liverpool then Chelsea and arsenal in the fa Cup???
@DaveryXX: “We’ve not faced an easy side this season in a cup game. Lol.”
@mcfcOrtega: “We ain’t having it easy this season. So far we’ve faced Liverpool and Chelsea in both knockout stages and now potentially Arsenal 😂”
@mcfc_rachel: “This is getting ridiculous. I don’t wanna hear bs about city getting easy draws.”
Follow Us on Social media:
- ‘United really parked the bus’ – How social media reacted as Man City dominate United in 3-1 win
- ‘Startling’… Gary Neville left stunned after what 23-year-old Manchester City player did in today’s derby
- Gary Lineker gives reaction to Erling Haaland miss for Manchester City against Manchester United
- Paul Merson says Phil Foden now gets in any team in the world, after 3-1 win over Man United
- ‘Cold as ice’… Gary Neville left stunned by just how good £225,000-a-week Man City player was vs Man United
- Dion Dublin says £43m player led Man City to victory against Man United
- Pep Guardiola proudly states 23-year-old Man City star has been the player of the season