The Premier League champions were dumped out in the quarter-finals with a 2-0 defeat to Saints, who are rock bottom of the top-flight.
He said: “Who knows whether with Kevin and Erling it would have been different? I don’t know it.
“We tried to do our best and we rotate the team when we played against Chelsea after the Premier League and it’s good.
“I understand how this business works. Always we try to have everybody involved and everybody has to do it but today was not the case.
“I had the feeling today it doesn’t matter what line-up I am selecting, we are performing this way. Don’t ask me why. This is my experience.
“It doesn’t matter today the line-up we choose, it would happen because we were not here. And that’s why when this happens, they deserve it.”
These Guardiola’s comments were shared on Twitter by City Xtra and it attracted plenty of attention from the club’s supporters.
@RayHope111: “That is not true at all!”
@ronanpatlee: “Don’t agree, Walker isn’t able for that role, there was no fluency in passing out from the back.”
@Laporte_SZN: “Walker isn’t a CB and he’s just trying to find his form again, very cruel to play him there.”
@HoesLuvGino: “What is baldy waffling about,you picked our D Team not even B Team against Southampton’s FIRST XI”
@MCFCHarv: “This means he’s starting gomez again for those of you who don’t understand pep.”
@RayHope111: “I think Pep has lost his mind!”
He’s changing the lineup every game, 4 different defensive lineups in 4 matches
Playing people out of position. Anyone gets on a roll and they’re not starting the next game.
It’s a mess. pic.twitter.com/B4ACBuzqsf
— Andy (@a779457) January 11, 2023
Follow Us on Social media:
- Man City charged by FA over players’ behaviour in Tottenham draw – as Erling Haaland learns fate
- ‘We are in big trouble’, ‘Huge blow!’ – Man City fans react to Jeremy Doku injury news
- Former referee offers verdict on controversial decision in Man City vs Tottenham
- ‘Absolute Joke’ – Man City fans react as Premier League make decision on referee Simon Hooper after costly blunder
- Could Erling Haaland face FA action for his furious outburst at Simon Hooper?
- ‘Lately we are struggling’ – Pep Guardiola gives honest verdict on Manchester City struggle
- Man City dealt double blow ahead of Aston Villa clash as Pep Guardiola makes ‘struggling’ admission