The Ukraine international spent six trophy-laden years at the Etihad Stadium before he was granted a move to Arsenal in the summer.
Zinchenko has played a pivotal role in transforming the Gunners into title contenders but was forced to settle for a place on the bench for last night’s FA Cup fourth round tie.
The 26-year-old was introduced midway through the second period but was unable to help force the equaliser that would have secured Mikel Arteta’s side a replay.
Zinchenko was warmly greeted by City’s fans but events appeared to take a bizarre twist at the final whistle when he was involved in an altercation with Ilkay Gundogan.
Zinchenko did swap shirts with Walker before heading down the tunnel and will look forward to renewing acquaintances with City when they travel to the Emirates Stadium in a game that will have a large bearing on the destination of the Premier League title.
Taking to Instagram, Zinchenko wrote: ‘Not the result what we came for but we will bounce back!
‘There are no old friends – there are friends with whom there are many good memories and you will always be glad to see each of them.
‘There is no past home – there is a place where you were very happy, and now you are happy to return. Thank you Etihad for the warm welcome!
‘See you soon at Emirates, I hope you will have fun.’
Follow Us on Social media:
- ‘United really parked the bus’ – How social media reacted as Man City dominate United in 3-1 win
- ‘Startling’… Gary Neville left stunned after what 23-year-old Manchester City player did in today’s derby
- Gary Lineker gives reaction to Erling Haaland miss for Manchester City against Manchester United
- Paul Merson says Phil Foden now gets in any team in the world, after 3-1 win over Man United
- ‘Cold as ice’… Gary Neville left stunned by just how good £225,000-a-week Man City player was vs Man United
- Dion Dublin says £43m player led Man City to victory against Man United
- Pep Guardiola proudly states 23-year-old Man City star has been the player of the season