The prolific Norwegian striker was wanted by all of Europe’s top clubs once it became apparent that he would move away from Borussia Dortmund in the summer of 2022.
Premier League champions City ultimately won that race, and have seen Haaland hit 27 goals for them through 24 appearances, with a player already on their books – who branded himself “agent Mahrez” at the time – helping to push through a £51 million ($62m) deal.
Speaking to CityTV about bumping into Mahrez during a vacation in Mykonos during the summer of 2021, Haaland said: “We didn’t speak a lot but you said that I should come to City and it was a good atmosphere. And this, for me, is really important in the team is the atmosphere that you enjoy every day. You just said a little bit and for me that was enough.”
Mahrez added of his involvement: “I don’t think I need to convince [new signings] because everyone wants to play for a club like City. Like you said before about the atmosphere, the club, the team, the dressing room. We’ve got a top team, top lads, and that’s the most important thing.”
Haaland’s presence at City has given Pep Guardiola another proven No.9 to work with, with the Citizens a more potent attacking force in 2022-23, but uncharacteristic struggles for consistency as a collective have led to the Premier League title holders slipping eight points off the pace in this season’s battle for domestic supremacy.
Follow Us on Social media:
- (Need an FWB?) 10 most readily useful FWB web sites & Apps â DatingXP.co
- ‘Make them stronger’: Pundit tells Liverpool to raid Manchester City for £150,000-a-week player
- ‘Say no’ – Man City boss Pep Guardiola says players should take action over mounting fixture lists
- Pep Guardiola tells Jack Grealish he faces challenge to keep his Man City place
- Pep Guardiola issue injury update on three Man City players
- Micah Richards outlines how ‘outstanding’ Man City player’s development might be at risk
- ‘Should win this one’ – Paul Merson now makes Manchester City vs Wolves score prediction