Pep Guardiola’s side were left frustrated as Steven Gerrard’s side made Manchester City pay for their wastefulness in front of goal.
City failed to register a shot on target in the first half but Erling Haaland opened the scoring after half-time as City looked sharper and hungrier.
Villa looked to have sealed a shock victory when Philippe Coutinho netted late on but the Brazilian’s effort was chalked off for offside.
Speaking after the game Guardiola was fairly pleased with his team’s efforts, but was frustrated by their sloppy finishing.
“Defensively, I like everything. Good game. We conceded just one from one shot on target in 90 minutes.
“Offensively, in the final third, normally players who are so precise missed a lot. We were not precise in our final third touches and our simple things, especially in the first half. We had chances to score a second when the game was in our hands but didn’t.”
“We were better after the goal. But we were just not precise enough in the crosses. We missed a few situations and that’s why we could not score.”
Manchester City enjoyed the majority of possession at Villa Park. But they came up against a side determined to put on a better show after recent poor results.
And the Spaniard acknowledged that the opposition were a handful throughout the game.
“They [Villa] defended well, they are well organised and physical,” he added. “The way we defended we created enough chances to score goals, we defended well apart from one action.”
Follow Us on Social media:
- ‘The right decision’… PL captain says 28-year-old was totally right to leave Manchester City
- Erling Haaland contract update: Manchester City ‘considering’ fresh approach
- ‘He Is Not Wrong’ ‘Common Knowledge’ – Fans React As Hazard Calls City Star The “Best Player” In The Premier League
- Pep Guardiola makes surprise admission regarding Manchester City’s defensive woes
- Graeme Souness admits he gets very irritated when he watches 28-year-old Man City attacker
- Thomas Muller names which club he’d rather support
- ‘He didn’t really fancy him’… Reporter suggests Pep Guardiola absolutely destroyed £42m Man City player