Haaland signed for the Cityzens only last summer, arriving from Borussia Dortmund. The Norwegian international has made a devastating impact in his debut season in the Premier League.
The 22 year-old striker has registered a total of 37 appearances for the club across all competitions so far this season, scoring a staggering 42 goals in the process, accompanied by a further five assists.
Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG and Bayern Munich all retain an interest in signing Haaland, but they are acutely aware that the most likely route to signing him is via the release clause in his contract.
Haaland’s contract was that he could, in theory, leave for a set fee in the future, similar to the deals he had in place at Dortmund and RB Salzburg.
Manchester City are reportedly keen to remove the release clause in Erling Haaland’s contract that would allow him to leave the Etihad Stadium for a set price.
Haaland has continued to be linked with a future Man City exit with Real Madrid keen on the striker, who has a valid contract with the club until 2027. Los Blancos are thought to have a plan to sign the Norwegian international but Pep Guardiola’s side are ready to offer the striker a new deal.
According to Phil Thomas of The Sun, Manchester City are keen to send a “hands off” message to Los Blancos by improving Haaland’s contract and securing his future at the club.
Haaland currently earns £375,000-a-week at the Etihad, the same as team-mate Kevin De Bruyne, but City are ready to up that to £500,000-a-week and add another 12 months to his deal making him Premier League’s outright top earner, according to the report.
As for any indications from Erling Haaland’s camp ahead of any contractual negotiations, The Sun report that those around the Norwegian ‘have given indications’ that they are keen to hold talks and Manchester City themselves are convinced he will follow Julian Alvarez’s decision.
The report was shared on Twitter by City Xtra and it attracted plenty of attention from the club’s supporters.
@ik_parry: “He must be protected at all cost”
@SaymSZN: “Just give him whatever he wants idc”
@lixxsrt: “Give this man everything, just don’t let him leave. ”
@KillerSparrow71: “Need that release clause gone Madrid can’t have him and Mbappe”
@nuthatch123: “was so happy then i saw the source.”
@h3mzamcfc: “Got gassed then realized its the sun”
Haaland withdrawn from Norway’s squad for their Euro 2024 qualifiers due to an injury but will be aiming to return to action when Pep Guardiola’s side take on Liverpool on April 1.
Follow Us on Social media:
- ‘United really parked the bus’ – How social media reacted as Man City dominate United in 3-1 win
- ‘Startling’… Gary Neville left stunned after what 23-year-old Manchester City player did in today’s derby
- Gary Lineker gives reaction to Erling Haaland miss for Manchester City against Manchester United
- Paul Merson says Phil Foden now gets in any team in the world, after 3-1 win over Man United
- ‘Cold as ice’… Gary Neville left stunned by just how good £225,000-a-week Man City player was vs Man United
- Dion Dublin says £43m player led Man City to victory against Man United
- Pep Guardiola proudly states 23-year-old Man City star has been the player of the season