Starting one point ahead of Liverpool with a better goal difference by six, City came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 against Aston Villa as former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard failed to do his boyhood club the favour they so desired.
As the half time whistle sounded, City found themselves 1-0 down. In the dressing room, Guardiola gave the perfect speech to galvanise his players.
Footage of that team talk has now emerged courtesy of the latest episode of City’s ‘Together: Champions Again’ documentary and there’s no doubt that Guardiola absolutely nailed the perfect motivational speech.
“We’re going to go for it. Okay, guys?” Guardiola insisted as he stood before his dejected-looking players.
“It’s impossible to think about the consequences if we don’t win. It’s normal. It’s normal. But you have to be positive until the end.
“We need one goal. Then we will have the momentum and we will do it. I know you feel the pressure in the danger. It’s normal.
“We would not be here if we hadn’t been the best. You would not be. I know we are going to win it, but you have to handle in here [the mind] in a positive way.
“Find the quality, guys! You have enough. Okay? Allez,” a pumped-up Guardiola concluded, before clapping his hands and heading back towards pitchside.
Things actually went from bad to worse in the second half, with Philippe Coutinho doubling Villa’s lead in the 69th minute.
But just as the title appeared to be slipping away from Guardiola’s men, substitute Ilkay Gundogan helped inspire an incredible fightback.
The German scored twice, with Rodri grabbing the other, as City scored three times in a whirlwind five minutes to go back ahead.
You can check out Pep’s speech for yourself below.
— City Report (@cityreport_) September 8, 2022
Follow Us on Social media:
- ‘United really parked the bus’ – How social media reacted as Man City dominate United in 3-1 win
- ‘Startling’… Gary Neville left stunned after what 23-year-old Manchester City player did in today’s derby
- Gary Lineker gives reaction to Erling Haaland miss for Manchester City against Manchester United
- Paul Merson says Phil Foden now gets in any team in the world, after 3-1 win over Man United
- ‘Cold as ice’… Gary Neville left stunned by just how good £225,000-a-week Man City player was vs Man United
- Dion Dublin says £43m player led Man City to victory against Man United
- Pep Guardiola proudly states 23-year-old Man City star has been the player of the season